Natural Gas is colourless, soot-less and sulphur-free. Natural Gas is lighter than air and disperses upward if leaked.
Strict safety checks and pipeline inspections ensures the safe consistent flow of Natural Gas to your home or business.
Egoli Gas pipes Natural Gas directly to your home or business via an established, safe, 1200km gas network in the greater Johannesburg metro area.
Natural Gas safety is always our highest priority. At Egoli Gas, strict natural gas safety standards in accordance to national and international standards are adhered to. We conduct scheduled leak detection surveys of our complete pipeline network beyond the minimum requirements and strive to implement best practice wherever possible. Regular risk assessments and audits are conducted to ensure constant compliance to standards and legislation.
SAFETY, HEALTH AND ENVIRONMENTAL POLICY
Egoli Gas is committed to ensure all its operations and practices prevent harm to people, damage to property or the environment. The principles of safety, health and environment (SHE) are actively managed as an integral part of our business and all our practices.
For the SHE policy, click here
Natural gas, in its natural state, is colourless and odourless, but a small amount of sulphur is added as an odorant which makes any gas leak smell like rotten eggs. This aids with leak detection and acts as a warning that there is a leak present. Gas leaks are generally not life-threatening as the gas escapes harmlessly into the air, however if you smell a leak, you need to report it immediately on (011) 726 4702 or email@example.com
Other ways to detect a natural gas leak include:
• Smell of rotten eggs;
• A hazy cloud, light miss or fog;
• White marks on the ground where the earth has been discoloured;
• Vegetation that has died or is discoloured;
• Small bubbles escaping from water or wet ground;
• Hissing, whistling or droning sound
WHAT TO DO IF THERE IS A GAS LEAK
• If possible remove any smouldering or burning material from the area and extinguish safely;
• Close any supply/isolation valves if accessible;
• Open doors and windows if the gas leak is inside to ventilate the area;
• Do not use any open flames, electrical appliances or switches;
• Do not use any type of telephone in the area;
• Evacuate people from the area and corner off the area;
• Contact us immediately (011) 726 4702
HOW TO REPORT ILLEGAL GAS CONNECTIONS
To report any illegal gas connections, please advise us on firstname.lastname@example.org Any information on illegal connections is directed to the Managing Director and will be treated with the utmost seriousness and confidentiality.
MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET
To view the Natural Gas Material Safety Data Sheet in PDF click here
COMPOSITION OF NATURAL GAS
For the composition of Natural Gas, click here